MANUAL SCHEDULING FOR LOCAL BUS SERVICES
This industry-recognised practical course provides a solid foundation for those who need to create or have a working knowledge of bus timetables and their operational effectiveness. All aspects of manually scheduling buses and drivers are covered, including some of the more complex practices that are employed in creating the most cost-effective schedules.
- Duration: 2 consecutive days
- Open course: 25-26 April, up to 8 attendees
- Closed course: 5 to 8 attendees
- Price: available on request
- Format: online or classroom practical training
Benefits of attending
- Explain the theory of good bus timetabling, including the creation of efficient vehicle workings and the relationship between these two disciplines.
- Create cost-effective driver duties and understand the impact they can have on vehicle workings and timetables.
- Recognise how to produce workable driver rosters and learn important tricks of the trade.
- Understand what is involved in getting bus services out onto the road in the real world.
Who should attend
- Anyone interested in planning and scheduling, particularly those working for a bus operator or local transport authority.
- The training is facilitated by an industry-trained scheduler who will fully engage with participants to maximise the learning experience.
Introduction to scheduling
- Scheduling and its place in the business
- What is a scheduler’s job
Timetables and bus schedules
- Creating a simple timetable and bus schedule
- Dealing with frequency changes
- Interworking separate services
- Inter-timing services over a common portion of route
- Estimating the total number of duties required
- Estimating the number of each duty type
- Creating driver duties
- Calculating the number of lines required
- Rest day patterns
- Holiday and sickness cover
- Calculating the split of 4 & 5 day duties
Practical case study
- Chance to look at a working example and use the knowledge gained on the course.
Developing skills to help you save time and money
Network Planner at Blackpool Transport
Omnibus have a great understanding of what bus operators require in terms of training and consultancy. Thanks to the training I received, I can be more creative with schedules and use less time to do the same work. You can easily save hours.