28 June 2022 – Quarterly bus figures showing local bus passenger journeys and fares statistics in Great Britain for January to March 2022, have been published on the DfT website.
For the year ending March 2022, the number of local bus passenger journeys in:
- England was 2.91 billion, an 85% increase
- London increased by 76%
- England outside London increased by 96%
Comparing local bus passenger journeys for January to March 2022 to January to March 2021, we see:
- a 106% increase in England
- London increased by 104%
- England outside London increased by 109%
- Scotland increased by 95%
- Wales increased by 97%
The local bus fares index increased by 3.6% in England between March 2021 and March 2022. For other areas, the local bus fares index change was a:
- 5.9% increase in London
- 0.8% increase in metropolitan areas
- 2.5% increase in non-metropolitan areas
- no change in Scotland
- no change in Wales
The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) increased by 5.0% over the same 12-month period.
This publication covers data for the year ending March 2022, which coincides with the application of movement restrictions due to COVID-19 in Great Britain.
Read the full document: Quarterly bus statistics: January to March 2022